Thursday, July 9, 2009

Garlic Scapes Galore

Thanks to my cousin, I am a proud recipient of a CSA share. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture, and I have been looking out for something suitable for the last 4-5 years. There weren't any farms/distribution centres close enough to our place to be called local(according to me), and I didn't want to commit to driving 15-20 miles one way each week to get fresh (and supposedly local) produce. When Denish told me about one opening up in our town itself, I jumped at the idea.

I've been getting fresh vegetables for 3 weeks now(today is the 4th distribution), and I have been introduced to a slew of vegetables that I have before only looked lovingly at the grocery store, or read about, and didn't have the courage to buy them; for lack of recipes to try, and lack of guinea pigs to try upon.

We've got bok-choy(tons of it), kale, collards, radishes, beets, lettuce, chard, spinach, turnips and turnip greens, mustard greens, arugula, peas etc., but my favorite happens to be garlic scapes.

Garlic scapes are to garlic what spring onions are to onion. They have a mild subtle garlicky flavor, and have found their way into rotis, uttapams, daal, sambhar and thecha. You could use them in lieu of (or in addition to) spring onions.

The garlic-scapes thecha(based on the Maharashtrian garlic thecha) was a simple mashed mixture of a couple of garlic scapes, with 4-5 green chillies and salt, pounded with a mortar and pestle (because I still haven't made a decision on what mixie to buy after my last American blender gave way more than a year ago). The mortar and pestle treatment does wonders to the texture (and taste, and rusticity) of the resultant chutney though.

More accounts/adventures of my CSA experience to follow. Will update the post with pictures soon...

3 comments:

Denish said...

Yum! We're coming with empty stomachs tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your khanekakhazana.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your khanekakhazana.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com