Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Cooking With Kids - Zebra Cake

When I started this blog, I had grand visions of publishing my recipes. But I have become so addicted to blog-hopping, and trying out recipes from other blogs, that I hardly think of posting my own. Anyways, here is another one that I just had to make as soon as I saw it.

I have to juggle work and taking care of my 6-year old, Adarsh between 3 and 6 in the evening. And he is forever wanting to do some activity or the other with me. When I saw this recipe, I was amazed at how simple it was, and thought that it would be a perfect candidate for an activity with Adarsh. Not to mention that he loves spending time in the kitchen.



The original recipe is from here. I followed Farida's recipe for the cake batters too. Adarsh helped me in measuring, breaking the eggs, mixing, and finally the funnest part - pouring out the white and chocolate batters. I had the chocolate one, and he had the white one. My pictures didn't turn out as well as Farida's, but the picture here doesn't do justice to the actual cake. But it was the only picture taken, as we were all busy eating the cake afterwards. We were pretty impressed with the way the cake turned out, both in the looks and taste department.

I found that the batter became thick when I added chocolate. When I make it again(and I sure will), I will thin out the chocolate batter a little with milk. The layers would come out more pronounced then. Or I might give it a try with other cake batter recipes.

But overall, a wonderful technique, and ample opportunities for the little ones to help out, and feel excited, and important:)

I am not posting the recipe here, as you can get detailed instructions with pictures on Farida's lovely blog.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

looks pretty..

Arundathi said...

this looks great - I just saw a zebra cake on Deeba's blog too - looks like the animal is taking over dessert! :)

Shivakumar said...

Nice....the cake...and the new look!! Sigh...!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! will definitely try my hands on it sometime soon.

Suman

ranji said...

very very pretty..delicious too...perfect to cook with kids...

Sandhiya Krishnan said...

Looks yum, hope to eat it soon too.

@the_whisk_affair said...

beautiful cake...hope i can bake this someday with my lil one!

LVI said...

Thanks Divya, Arundathi, Ranji, JZ.

Dr sahib, hope to see you soon, then you can do this with Adarsh:)

Suman, I am sure Atul will have a blast helping you out with this.

Sandhiya, come visit us, and you can have it soon:)

Denish said...

I want.... NOW... please to be bringing it in to work tomorrow...