Sunday, March 16, 2008

Muffin of sorts

Here I had a sole aging banana, and the desire to make banana nut bread again. And Adarsh wanted muffins. And I was nursing a terrible cold, and didn't feel like doing any kind of work. But felt emotionally obliged to make something fun for my son over the weekend. As Rajesh took Adarsh on his Sunday activities, I took stock of my woefully bare pantry (only in some items:)), and also had a baby with cold "kade-var"(reminded of Mukta bai). So here is what I came up with...

Banana-nut-chocolate chip muffins (makes about 12 medium sized muffins)
Ingredients:
1 sorry banana - mashed pulp about 1/2 measure (I used my rice measuring cup - 160 ml - 2/3 of the normal cup, and based my measurements on this unit)
1/2 measure - milk - pantry staple
3/4 measure - brown sugar - pantry excess
1/2 measure - sour cream - pantry excess
1 egg
1-1/2 tbsp butter - pantry staple
1/2 measure AP flour (maida) - pantry constraint
1/2 measure rava - pantry staple
1/2 measure atta (whole-wheat flour) - pantry staple
handful (probably 1/4 measure) walnuts chopped
handful (probably 1/4 measure) semi-sweet chocolate chips - pantry excess on request from Adarsh
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Procedure:
Heat oven to 350 F. Beat well the mashed bananas, milk, butter(melted would be good), egg, sour cream(can be substituted with yogurt), sugar and vanilla. Fold in the flours and the baking powder, baking soda and the cinnamon. Finally add the nuts and chocolate chips. Pour into paper-lined muffin tins, and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a skewer poked into the muffin comes out clean.

P.S.: I am not bothering with pictures, as I realize that that is my handicap. Didn't even take pictures this time (I do have several posts in draft, on which I want to upload the pictures, and then publish :))

Overall, we were quite pleased with the results. The sweetness was muted, just to our liking, and the rava and atta lent a nice dense texture to the muffins. I was worried that the result wouldn't be banana-ey, but we could taste the banana. If I had more bananas, I would add another one, and take away the milk.

3 comments:

Sandhiya Krishnan said...

Hi Lakshmi,
Didn't know you are updating your blog. Saw ur post in Taste of India and confirmed that it's indeed the lakshmi i Know.
Anyway congrats on your Cooking journey. I am foodie myself and very enthusiastic about trying new things but don't have a blog.
Hope to catch up with you soon.
Hope to see your lot more of your posts with nice pics too.

LVI said...

Thanks for your comment, Sandhiya... Yes, i do remember your wonderful lunches, and the meals I've had at your place...ha, this is news to me as well that I am on Taste of India. I had sent an email, but thought that somehow I didn't get added... I will have to put more thought on my posts now:)

Vidya said...

oye, i visited ur blog after a long time...thought I got the wrong url when I saw the new "look"....when do we get some yummy new recipes???